Sunday, July 5, 2009

My Recent Visit

Hi everyone. I just got back from Michigan - a very quick visit to see my dad. His face lit up when I came into the room and he was smiling a lot. His spirits were so much better than when I last saw him in the hospital, he's no longer sleepy all the time. He's now eating full time and hopefully they will remove his feeding tube soon since he doesn't seem to need it anymore. We had a really nice visit the first night, had a lot of conversation although we couldn't always understand each other. Katie and Maura also came to visit while I was there. Katie's mom was there earlier in the day and brought my dad a nice plant for his room.

I came for another visit on Friday and was lucky enough to get there at the end of his physical therapy session. I was amazed to see that they have had my dad up and using a walker for three days in a row. He actually has some movement in his right leg, however the therapist had to help move his leg all the way forward so he could take another step. Dad was able to "walk" across the PT room. I never thought I would see that happen. Hopefully he continues to gain strength and mobility. I also saw him move his right arm many times, but all involuntary. It's a bittersweet experience - happy to see him make improvements, sad that he has to go through this and relearn so many basic functions. He's trying hard to communicate but just can't find a lot of the words.

After PT we went back to his room and he was very upset that he couldn't get back in bed right away. It was frustrating for both of us but once we got him back in bed all was well. We ate lunch together and he made some room on his tv table for me to eat my sandwich. Even though I told him earlier in the day that I brought my I was pleased he still remembered an hour later and cleared me a spot before I even got my sandwich out. After lunch I got dad back in his wheel chair and took him outside into the courtyard for a little sunshine. When we came back to the room we were both hot and he directed me how to turn the a/c on, although he called it "rain" he new exactly where and how to turn it on.

I'll be back again at the end of July with my husband Bernie for a slightly longer visit. I am excited to see what progress Dad will make in the next few weeks. I know it is hard for those who see him every day to notice the differences, but because I haven't seen my dad for a month I can definitely see the changes. He's already doing much more than the doctors at the hospital led us to believe was ever possible.

p.s. I left a black leather guest book in dad's room so people can let us know they were there, and how their visit went. Please use it, I look forward to reading it during my next visit!

keri

No comments:

Post a Comment