Saturday, November 13, 2010

November visit - part 1

I've had a trip planned to visit in December but with Katie having had such serious surgery I really needed to get in a visit before then. As luck would have it, I needed to do a packaging trial for work and our Detroit plant turned out to be the perfect spot. Two birds, one stone!

I flew in Thursday afternoon and stopped to see my dad.  He smiled real big and looked happy to see me. He immediately wanted to get up and stroll the halls before dinner. As he stood up he looked at me and smiled and said, "You look sharp!", then he looked me up and down and said, "Yeah, reeeeaaalllll sharp!"  Thanks Dad!  Not sure if he loved my sweater or noticed I lost a few pounds but either way, I'll take it. We made the usual rounds to nose in on what everyone is up to. Dad doesn't talk much but he likes to see what people are up to and watch people playing games. Everyone knows his name that's for sure. We went back to his room in time for dinner and I stayed with him while he ate. He insisted on walking me out when it was time to go. His orderly said he is the first one up in the morning - combs his hair, brushes his teeth, hits the town. As my dad used to always say, "morning is the best time of day!" We never agreed on that.

Friday I went for another visit. I find that an hour or a little more is about the perfect amount of time before he shoos me out of there. He had just eaten lunch when I got there and looked like he was getting ready for an afternoon nap. We looked at a magazine about Michigan and talked about the history of Grosse Ile. Went for a walk as usual, took a quick zip around the garden but it was a little too chilly to sit. We sat in one of the common areas and chatted some more. Then we went back to the room so Dad could have some more of the fruit smoothie I brought him and I could get my purse. It's so nice to be walked out, so sad at the same time.

Friday evening I had a burger at the Raft with Katie and Maura. Man I haven't been there in years! Katie is recovering and looks great. Maura is talking about college already! After dinner I took a drive through Algonac, looked at the old house on the Pointe and saw that they tore Henry's down. I tried to find a picture online but couldn't find a single one. Anyway, it was a restaurant by our house that had been around since 1937. I worked there in college, my grandma Bell worked there. Now it is going to be a parking lot.

Saturday I had lunch with Barb and Gwen and then picked up Katie and Maura for an early dinner with my dad. We went to Carrabba's again, his choice. His friend Laura was our waitress which is why he likes to go. When we got back Dad was trying to tell Maura something but it took awhile to figure out that he wanted to know if the boats are still in the water and when she told him yes, he said in a very worried tone, "oh man!" We told him not to worry that Katie has it all taken care of and it isn't freezing out yet, the boats will get out in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment