Sunday, December 13, 2009

My December Visit

I'm at the Detroit airport waiting for my flight back to Denver.  It was another whirlwind tour to Michigan.  I got to visit with my Dad the last four days as well as see lots of friends and family.  I even got some Christmas shopping in.  I'm exhausted.  I think the next visit will be more low key so I can take Dad out on the town.  He's already been out to dinner with Katie at Brio, and to her sister Anne's for Thanksgiving dinner with the family.  I'm told he tried to instruct Katie on how to drive, typical of "the boss."  A little bit about my visit...

Just some interesting observations, Dad can't really tell you what time it is but knows when meal time is, or when you have to leave if you tell him ahead of time, etc.  It seems like his short term memory is improving and he remembered a few things that I told him from the previous day.  He also knows Tiger Woods is in some serious hot water.  "Whoa."  And that at 40, Brett Farve really isn't that old.  Dad doesn't like to leave the room when mealtime is near but right afterwards each day he was ready to hit the road.  Since my visit in October he's now able to get up and in his wheelchair 100% on his own.  He stands up strong and stable - such a positive change.  When doctors tell you physical progress stops after 3-6 months, I guess they never met Dave Batchelder.

Each day we went for a stroll - the typical route over to the elevator with a quick stop at the second floor lounge to check out the action.  Then downstairs to the first floor lounge.  Usually we go outside into the courtyard but it was much too cold this week.  Dave has all the ladies charmed and they all say high to him as he wheels on by.  We played a game of checkers and I love how he leaves his finger on the piece until he is sure of his move.  He used to beat the pants off me in checkers as a kid and I knew if I threw the game he would know it.  Once we realized we got to the point where no one could win, he took a hit for the team and let me jump his kings.

Today I needed to leave soon after he was finishing lunch but he wanted to get up into his chair, which he did all on his own.  I said it would have to be a quick walk and he told me (in few words) to grab my stuff, that he would walk me out.  It was so sweet and such an independent move that left me a little heart broken.

I know everyone is busy this time of year, please take a few minutes and stop by for a visit.  You'll both be better for it.  Until next time...keri

No comments:

Post a Comment