Thursday, June 3, 2010

An email from Katie to one of David's Friends

More to come soon on my recent visit, but I wanted to get this out ASAP so folks can hear how my dad is doing and hopefully get out to visit soon - you'll love the walk out to the gardens he'll take you on! - keri

David is doing well. It's hard to explain...he still has trouble with getting the right words out but he now not only understands, but can reason. I am always telling him what is going on with work, the house, the cottage, Maura, her boat and anything I can think to talk about when I visit him. I now ask his opinion about some things and although he doesn't have the words, I give him a choice of what he thinks I should do and it always seems true to what he would have answered before his stroke. It also seems he likes to be involved in the decisions I make. He also likes to decide where he wants to eat {Carrabba’s and a Chinese restaurant} when we take him out to dinner by directing me where to turn until I figure out what restaurant he is taking me to. He still makes me laugh. His overall health is good as are his spirits!

I also run into many people that ask me how David is doing. I update them but always say "go visit him, he would love to see you". At this point he does not get many visitors. I visit him every day with a few exceptions. Just like always, he is so happy to see me. …. When I have to go out of town for work I line people up to visit so he has at least has one visitor a day. Thanks for continuing to encourage people to visit, it really means a lot. - Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment